Subject: hpff: I am new in this list

From: Supratic Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 13:16:55 +-900

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would first apologize for my ignorance. I am at present using FORTRAN for has 6 years
for Finite element analysis with my own code. Previously I used FORTRAN 77, now I use
FORTRAN 90 by MS FORTRAN.

I wish to know the following

a) What is this high performance FORTRAN? Is it FORTRAN 90 or some thing again new and different?
b) If it is new, how can I learn? Can I order or down load a manual?

I am looking forward to buying a machine with budget about $22000(including software). I was
looking for DEC Alpha as it is 64 bit operation, with 500 MH clock speed with either linux or
NT. 

Most of the FORTRAN's like MS FORTRAN and others I looked are 32 big FORTRAN. May be they don't work.
However DEC has its own FORTRAN. I am not sure what it is - FORTRAN 77 or FORTRAN 90.

Now what should I do to get the fastest computational facility in highly CPU oriented work.
All I need is speed. Graphic facility is not necessary. However I need a good graphic
debug tool.

Am I in the wrong place?

Sincerely yours
Supratic Gupta
Research Associate
NIT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------