Subject: hpff: HPF version 2.0 Language Specification

From: Chuck Koelbel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:47:56 -0600 (CST)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The High Performance Fortran Forum is pleased to announce the availablility
of _The High Performance Fortran Language Specification, version 2.0_.  HPF
2.0 contains:

* The HPF 2.0 Language
* HPF 2.0 Approved Extensions

The HPF 2.0 language includes features that are expected  of every HPF
implementation within a year of release of the  language specification.
These include:

- Basic data distribution features (ALIGN and DISTRIBUTE, with
  some simplifications from HPF 1.1 in the procedure calls),
- Data parallel features (FORALL and INDEPENDENT, including a
  new REDUCTION clause for INDEPENDENT),
- Intrinsic and library routines (HPF 1.1, plus two new forms  of sorting), and
- The EXTRINSIC mechanism (as in HPF 1.0).

The Approved Extensions include advanced features that meet specific needs,
but are not likely to be supported in all initial compiler implementations.
These include:

- New data distribution patterns (including INDIRECT mappings and
  SHADOW regions) and DYNAMIC data distributions (REALIGN and
  REDISTRIBUTE),
- New parallel control mechanisms (including the ON clause and
  TASK_REGION directive),
- Asynchronous I/O operations, and
- Several predefined EXTRINSIC types (some, like HPF_LOCAL,
  supported by the HPF Forum; other, like HPF_CRAFT, supported
  by other groups).

The specification is available in several forms:

Anonymous FTP:
- The entire document in Postscript format:
    ftp://titan.cs.rice.edu/public/HPFF/draft/hpf-v20-final.ps.gz
- The entire document in DVI format:
    ftp://titan.cs.rice.edu/public/HPFF/draft/hpf-v20-final.dvi.gz
- The entire document in LaTeX 2e format:
    ftp://titan.cs.rice.edu/public/HPFF/draft/hpf-v20-final.tar.gz
  (To run LaTeX, unzip and untar the file to create a directory
  hpf-v20-final, then go to that directory and run LaTeX on
  hpf-report.tex)

Hardcopy
    Send a message to
	Theresa Chatman
	CITI/CRPC, Mail Stop 41
	Rice University
	6100 Main Street
	Houston, TX 77005
    or e-mail to [email-masked] and request a copy of CRPC-TR-92225.
    There is a $50.00 charge to cover copying and shipping costs.

We hope to have the specification available through the WWW shortly.  Due
to the length and complexity of the document, turning it into HTML is
"highly nontrivial" (i.e. latex2html chokes on the macros).  We will make
an announcement when that version arrives.

We are also planning to move the specification to a faster FTP server, but
copies will continue to be available at the above URL as well.  Don't be
suprised if you see other URLs in future announcements.

I'd like to thank all of the people who have made this document possible,
particularly:
	* Ken Kennedy, Chair of HPFF
	* Mary Zosel, Executive Director of HPFF
	* David Loveman, Chapter editor
	* Larry Meadows, Chapter editor
	* Carol Munroe, Chapter editor
	* Piyush Mehrotra, Chapter editor
	* Carl Offner, Chapter editor
	* P. Sadayappan, Chapter editor
	* Rob Schrieber, Chapter editor
	* Guy Steele, Proofreader extraordinare
	* Henry Zongaro, Most Valuable Proofreader

						Chuck Koelbel

**********************************************************************
Charles Koelbel				CRPC, MS 132
Center for Research on Parallel Computation		Rice University
Rice University				6100 Main Street
[email-masked]				Houston, TX 77005
**********************************************************************

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------