Subject: hpff: HPF version 2.0 Language Specification

From: Chuck Koelbel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:34:43 -0500

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The High Performance Fortran Forum is pleased to announce the availablility
of _The High Performance Fortran Language Specification, version
2.0.delta_.  HPF 2.0 contains:

* The HPF 2.0 Language
* HPF 2.0 Approved Extensions

The HPF 2.0 language includes features that are expected  of every HPF
implementation within a year of release of the  language specification.
These include:

- Basic data distribution features (ALIGN and DISTRIBUTE, with some
simplifications from HPF 1.1 in the procedure calls),
- Data parallel features (FORALL and INDEPENDENT, including a new REDUCTION
clause for INDEPENDENT),
- Intrinsic and library routines (HPF 1.1, plus two new forms  of sorting), and
- The EXTRINSIC mechanism (as in HPF 1.0).

The Approved Extensions include advanced features that meet specific needs,
but are not likely to be supported in all initial compiler implementations.
These include:

- New data distribution patterns (including INDIRECT mappings and SHADOW
regions) and DYNAMIC data distributions (REALIGN and REDISTRIBUTE),
- New parallel control mechanisms (including the ON clause and TASK_REGION
directive),
- Asynchronous I/O operations, and
- Several predefined EXTRINSIC types (some, like HPF_LOCAL, supported by
the HPF Forum; other, like HPF_CRAFT, supported by other groups).

The specification is available in several forms:

Anonymous FTP from ftp://titan.cs.rice.edu/public/HPFF/hpf2/
    This directory contains:
	hpf-report.ps	Postscript version of the document
	hpf-report.dvi	DVI version of the document
	*.tex		LaTeX source for the document
			(hpf-report.tex is the root file)
	Releases/*.tar.gz	TAR files of preliminary drafts
			(name indicates date created)

Hardcopy
    Send a message to
	Theresa Chatman
	CITI/CRPC, Mail Stop 41
	Rice University
	6100 Main Street
	Houston, TX 77005
    or e-mail to [email-masked] to request a copy.
    There is a $50.00 charge to cover copying and shipping costs.

We hope to have the draft available through the WWW shortly.  Due to the
length and complexity of the document, turning it into HTML is "highly
nontrivial" (i.e. latex2html chokes on the macros).  We will make an
announcement to this mailing list when it arrives.

***** IMPORTANT *****
This is a public comment version of the document.  We value any and all
reactions that you care to make.  These will be taken into consideration in
preparing the final draft in December.  Please send your comments by e-mail
to [email-masked].  If you do not have electronic mail, send the
comments by regular post to
	Charles Koelbel
	CITI/CRPC, Mail Stop 41
	Rice University
	6100 Main Street
	Houston, TX 77005
Thank you for your interest in HPF.

						Chuck Koelbel

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------