Subject: hpff: TEMPLATE scoping

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:51:28 -0700

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been experimenting with TEMPLATEs a bit lately and have found
that when used in MODULEs, I would like to be able to limit their
scoping to just the module.  Has there been any discussion of
templates having the ability to use PRIVATE or PUBLIC in the future?

Also -
Array alignment in subroutines seems to be pretty well addressed for
the codes that I am working on.  Dummy arrays I declare with:

!HPF$ DISTRIBUTE *(aaaaaaaaaaaa) :: yyy
!HPF$ DISTRIBUTE *(bbbbbbbbbbbb) :: zzz

and locals I can declare with:

!HPF$ ALIGN WITH yyy :: 
!HPF$ ALIGN WITH zzz :: 

and presumably somewhere higher up in the call tree the relationship
between different distributions is described so as to maximize
alignment of arrays.

MODULEs seem to introduce an interesting situation.  Currently, I am
using them only to replace COMMON blocks.  It seems that there is not
a way to explicitly tell the compiler about the alignment relationship
between arrays in the module and arrays in the routines that USE the
module.  Even TEMPLATEs, if you could limit their scoping via PRIVATE,
would only implicitly address this.  Have I missed something?  Is
there any preferred method for addressing alignment of arrays in COMMON
block type MODULEs with arrays in subroutines?

thanks
-dave
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------