Subject: hpff: Announcing: "The F Programming Language"

From: Michael Metcalf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 17:22:14 +0200 (METDST)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Announcing the first book on the F programming language
-------------------------------------------------------
 
"The F programming Language", by Michael Metcalf and John Reid, Oxford
University Press, Oxford and New York, 1996, ISBN 0-19-850026-2,
(about $US30 or 16.95 pounds sterling).
 
The F programming language is a dramatic new development in scientific
programming. Building on the well-established strengths of the Fortran
family of languages, it is carefully crafted to be both safe and regular,
whilst retaining the enormously powerful numerical capabilities of its
parent language, Fortran 90, as well as its data abstraction capability.
Thus, an array syntax becomes available as part of a medium-size,
widely-available language for the first time. In this respect, the
language is clearly superior to older ones such as Pascal, C, and Basic.
 
F is ideally suited for teaching as a first programming language,
and provides a smooth path into both Fortran 90 and High Performance
Fortran (it is a subset of both).
 
In the absence of a formal standard for F, this book is the defining
document for the language, setting out the complete syntax and semantics
of the language in a readable but thorough way. It is essential reading
for all F practitioners.
 
Compilers for F are available from Imagine1 for Windows 95, Linux and
some Unix platforms, with Windows NT, Macintosh PowerPC and 68K families
coming shortly. The compilers are based on technology from Absoft, 
Fujitsu, and NAG. For details see http://www.imagine1.com/imagine1
or contact [email-masked].
 
Table of Contents:
1.  Why F? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1
2.  Language elements  . . . . . . . . .    7
3.  Expressions and assignments  . . . .   29
4.  Control constructs   . . . . . . . .   49
5.  Program units and procedures   . . .   61
6.  Array features   . . . . . . . . . .   89
7.  Specification statements   . . . . .  113
8.  Intrinsic procedures   . . . . . . .  131
9.  Data transfer  . . . . . . . . . . .  151
10. Operations on external files   . . .  175
Appendix A.  Intrinsic procedures  . . .  185
Appendix B.  The statements of F . . . .  191
Appendix C.  Diffences from Fortran 90 .  195
Appendix D.  Pointer example   . . . . .  201
Appendix E.  The terms of F  . . . . . .  211
Appendix F.  Solutions to exercises  . .  221
Index  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  233

Michael Metcalf works at CERN, Geneva. He is the author of a range of
publications, including the books "Effective Fortran 77" and "Fortran  
90/95 Explained" (with John Reid) (Oxford University Press), and
"Fortran Optimization" (Academic Press). He was Editor of the
Fortran 90 standard.
 
John Reid works for the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and is well known
as a numerical analyst; he is a co-author of "Direct Methods for Sparse
Matrices" and "Fortran 90/95 Explained" (Oxford University Press).
He served as Secretary of X3J3 and played a leading role in the
development of Fortran 90.

Ordering information:
 
   1) N. America: Order Department, Monday-Friday, 8:15am-5:00pm (EST)
     Phone: 1-800-451-7556
     Fax:   1-919-677-1303
     Post: Order Department
           Oxford University Press
           2001 Evans Road
           Cary, NC 27513
     E-mail: [email-masked]
     WWW: http://www.oup-usa.org/
 
   2) UK: send order and payment to: CWO Department, OUP,
                                     FREEPOST NH 4051, Corby, Northants
                                     NN18 9BR - no stamp required
      Phone: with a credit card, the 24-hour credit card hotline is
            +44 (0)1536 454534
          Postage and packing for UK orders: - under #20 - add #2.06,
          over #20 - add #3.53, over #50 - add #4.70.
      WWW: http://www.oup.co.uk/
 
   3) Eire, Europe, and the rest of the world, send order and payment to:
      CWO Dept, OUP, Saxon Way West, Corby,
      Northants NN18 9ES, UK
      Fax: credit card sales: +44 1536 746337
          Postage and packing for non-UK orders: add 10% of the total
          price of the books.
 
    4) Imagine1
       11930 Menaul NE, Suite 106
       Albuquerque, NM 87112
       Toll free phone number: 1 888 323 1758.
       See also Imagine1's e-mail address and WWW URL above.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------