Subject: hpff: First book on Fortran 95

From: Michael Metcalf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 96 09:21:09 SET

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Announcing the first book on Fortran 95.
----------------------------------------

"Fortran 90/95 Explained" by Michael Metcalf and John Reid, Oxford
University Press, Oxford and New York, 1996, ISBN 0 19 851888 9
(about $US33 or 16.95 pounds sterling).

Fortran 95 is a revision of the ISO Fortran 90 standard based on the
interpretations that have been requested following its implementation and
use. In addition, new features to keep ISO Fortran aligned with High
Performance Fortran have been added, along with a small number of other
improvements. It is now in its final stages of formal approval.

This volume represents a thorough revision of "Fortran 90 Explained". It
includes more detailed explanations of many features with more examples
(giving about 18 additional pages), as well as new appendices (on
avoiding Fortran 77 extensions and an extended pointer example, a further
12 pages). Also, it incorporates all the interpretations, and has a
completely new chapter on Fortran 95 (18 pages). It is a complete and
authoritive description of Fortran 90/95.

Table of Contents:
1.  Whither Fortran?   . . . . . . . . . .  1
2.  Language elements  . . . . . . . . .   13
3.  Expressions and assignments  . . . .   41
4.  Control statements   . . . . . . . .   65
5.  Program units and procedures   . . .   81
6.  Array features   . . . . . . . . . .  117
7.  Specification statements   . . . . .  143
8.  Intrinsic procedures   . . . . . . .  173
9.  Data transfer  . . . . . . . . . . .  197
10.  Operations on external files  . . .  229
11.  Fortran 95  . . . . . . . . . . . .  241
12.  Other features  . . . . . . . . . .  259
Appendix A.  Intrinsic procedures  . . .  283
Appendix B.  Fortran 90/95 statements     289
Appendix C.  Obsolescent features  . . .  293
Appendix D.  Avoiding Fortran 77 extensions 299
Appendix E.  Pointer example   . . . . .  303
Appendix F.  Fortran terms   . . . . . .  311
Appendix G.  Solutions to exercises  . .  323
Index  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  343

Michael Metcalf works at CERN, Geneva. He is the author of a range of
publications, including the books Effective Fortran 77 (Oxford University
Press) and Fortran Optimization (Academic Press). He was Editor of the
Fortran 90 standard.

John Reid works for the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and is well known
as a numerical analyst; he is a co-author of Direct Methods for Sparse
Matrices (Oxford University Press). He served as Secretary of X3J3 and
played a leading role in the development of Fortran 90 and 95.

Ordering information (publication in the US is delayed until June):

   1) N. America: Order Department, Monday-Friday, 8:15am-5:00pm (EST)
     Phone: 1-800-451-7556
     Fax:   1-919-677-1303
     Post: Order Department
           Oxford University Press
           2001 Evans Road
           Cary, NC 27513
     E-mail: [email-masked]
     WWW: http://www.oup-usa.org/

   2) UK: send order and payment to: CWO Department, OUP,
                                     FREEPOST NH 4051, Corby, Northants
                                     NN18 9BR - no stamp required
      phone: with a credit card, the 24-hour credit card hotline is
            +44 (0)1536 454534
          Postage and packing for UK orders: - under #20 - add #2.06,
          over #20 - add #3.53, over #50 - add #4.70.
      WWW: http://www.oup.co.uk/

   3) Eire, Europe, and the rest of the world, send order and payment to:
      CWO Dept, OUP, Saxon Way West, Corby,
      Northants NN18 9ES, UK
      fax: credit card sales: +44 1536 746337
          Postage and packing for non-UK orders: add 10% of the total
          price of the books.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------