Subject: hpff: IOPADS '96: I/O in Parallel and Distributed Systems

From: David Kotz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 10:25:45 -0400 (EDT)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Forgive me if you receive multiple copies -- multiple mailing lists]

Reminder:
==> Hotel registration deadline is April 19!
==> Conference registration deadline is April 26!
==> Registration information at  http://www.acm.org/conferences/fcrc/

                        CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                 http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/iopads/

                      Fourth Annual Workshop on
               I/O in Parallel and Distributed Systems
                               (IOPADS)

                       in conjunction with the
           ACM 1996 Federated Computing Research Conference
                             May 27, 1996
                           Philadelphia, PA

                           Co-sponsored by:
                              ACM SIGACT
                             ACM SIGARCH
                             ACM  SIGOPS
                              IEEE TCOS

                         In cooperation with:
                            ACM SIGMETRICS

  In 1996, its fourth year, IOPADS graduates from an informal workshop
held in conjunction with IPPS, to a format more like a symposium to be
co-located with many others at FCRC '96.  The thrust of IOPADS has
always been to bring together researchers in all aspects of parallel
I/O, which we broadly place into five categories: architecture,
algorithms, applications, file and operating systems, and compilers
and runtime systems.  It is our opinion that the problems of parallel
I/O are most effectively addressed by investigating all these areas
rather than working in each area in isolation.  Although I/O-related
papers appear in many other conferences, the value of IOPADS is in
gathering interested researchers from all these areas of computer
science, encouraging cross-disciplinary interaction, rather than
working in each area in isolation.

  Through ACM Press, IOPADS will publish a formal proceedings, which
will be provided to all registrants and will be available for sale at
FCRC and afterwards.

  FCRC is the Federated Computing Research Conference, which was last
held in 1993.  In 1996, FCRC will include many exciting conferences
and workshops under one roof: ICS, IOPADS, ISCA, PADS, PLDI, PODC,
SIGMETRICS, STOC, WOPA, Workshop on Academic Careers for Women,
Symposium on Computational Geometry, Conference on Computational
Complexity, Symposium on Networks and Information Management,
Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Tools, and Conference on
Functional Programming.

==> Hotel registration deadline is April 19,
==> Conference registration deadline is April 29!
==> Registration information at  http://www.acm.org/conferences/fcrc/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINAL PROGRAM for May 26, 1996

 7:00- 8:00 Breakfast

 8:00- 9:00 FCRC Plenary Speaker: Randy Katz, UC Berkeley
		"The Case for Wireless Overlay Networks"

FINAL PROGRAM for May 27, 1996

 8:00- 8:45 Breakfast

 8:45- 9:00 Opening remarks

 9:00-10:30 Session 1: Applications and Language Support
	Chair: Charles Koelbel, Rice University

	Efficient Data-Parallel Files via Automatic Mode Detection
		  Jason A. Moore, Oregon State University
		  Philip J. Hatcher, University of New Hampshire
		  Michael J. Quinn, Oregon State University

	Tuning the Performance of I/O Intensive Parallel Applications
		  Anurag Acharya, Mustafa Uysal, Robert Bennett,
		  Assaf Mendelson, Michael Beynon,
		  Jeffrey K. Hollingsworth, Joel Saltz,
		  and Alan Sussman, University of Maryland

	The Design and Implementation of SOLAR, a Portable Library for
		Scalable Out-of-Core Linear Algebra Computations
		  Sivan Toledo and Fred G. Gustavson, IBM T. J. Watson

10:30-11:00 Break

11:00-12:30 Session 2: Caching and Architectural Issues
	Chair: John Wilkes, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories

	Evaluating Approximately Balanced Parity-Declustered Data 
		Layouts for Disk Arrays
		  Eric J. Schwabe, Ian M. Sutherland, and
		  Bruce K. Holmer, Northwestern University

	ENWRICH: A Compute-Processor Write Caching Scheme 
		for Parallel File Systems
		  Apratim Purakayastha and Carla Schlatter Ellis,
		    Duke University
		  David Kotz, Dartmouth College

	Prefetching in Segmented Disk Cache for Multi-Disk Systems
		  Valery V. Soloviev, North Dakota State University

12:30- 2:00 Lunch

 2:00- 3:30 Session 3: File Systems
	Chair: David Womble, Sandia National Laboratories

	 Performance of the Galley Parallel File System
		  Nils Nieuwejaar and David Kotz, Dartmouth College

	 HFS: A Performance-Oriented Flexible File System 
		Based on Building-Block Compositions
		  Orran Krieger and Michael Stumm, University of Toronto

	 Scalable Message Passing in Panda
		  Y. Chen, M. Winslett, K. E. Seamons, S. Kuo, Y. Cho,
		  and M. Subramaniam, University of Illinois

 3:30- 4:00 Break

 4:00- 5:00 Session 4: Theory and Algorithms
	Chair: Jeffrey Vitter, Duke University

	 Bounds on the Separation of Two Parallel Disk Models
		  Chris Armen, University of Hartford

	 Structured Permuting in Place on Parallel Disk Systems
		  Leonard F. Wisniewski, Dartmouth College

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                            General Chairs

David Kotz                Thomas H. Cormen          Ravi Jain
Department of             Department of             Bellcore
  Computer Science          Computer Science        445 South Street
Dartmouth College         Dartmouth College         Morristown, NJ 07962
Hanover, NH  03755-3510   Hanover, NH  03755-3510   (201) 829-4756
(603) 646-1439            (603) 646-2417            [email-masked]
[email-masked]      [email-masked]

                          Program Chair
                          Alok Choudhary
                          ECE Dept., 121 Link Hall
                          Syracuse University
                          Syracuse, NY 13244
                          (315) 443-4280
                          [email-masked]

                          Program Committee

               Sandra Johnson Baylor, IBM T. J. Watson
                 Alok Choudhary, Syracuse University
                    Tom Cormen, Dartmouth College
                      Denise Ecklund, Intel SSD
               Garth Gibson, Carnegie Mellon University
                   Charles Koelbel, Rice University
                    David Kotz, Dartmouth College
        Ethan Miller, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
                         Richard Muntz, UCLA
         Dan Reed, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
                   Jeffrey Vitter, Duke University
              John Wilkes, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
              David Womble, Sandia National Laboratories

For updates and more information, see http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/iopads/.

For general inquiries, send electronic mail to [email-masked].
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------