Subject: hpff: Fortran 90 Information (April)

From: Michael Metcalf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 07:27:50 -0500 (CDT)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

********************************************************************
* Still time: the Fortran Futures Conference near London Heathrow  *
* airport on 25/26 April:                                          *
*           http://www.nag.co.uk/other/ff96.html                   *
********************************************************************

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
F                                                                     F
F Is F the language that will be the true stepping stone to HPF and   F
F at the same time replace Basic, Pascal and C for teaching purposes? F
F See http://www.imagine1.com/imagine1, and watch this space!         F
F                                                                     F
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

 *********************************************************************
 * Information file, on compilers, tools, books, courses, tutorials  *
 * and the standard for the Fortran languge.                         *
 *********************************************************************

Note: additional information on Fortran products is availble on WWW
with the URL http://www.fortran.com/fortran.

WHERE CAN I OBTAIN A FORTRAN 90 COMPILER?

Absoft is about to beta-test a version of Cray's CF90 for the Power
Macintosh. Windows NT and 95 versions will follow ([email-masked] or
http://www.absoft.com/).

ACE of Holland provides f90 and HPF for Parsytec PowerPC-based machines
([email-masked], http://www.ace.nl/).

Apogee's compiler is highly optimized for SPARC architectures
([email-masked]). Used on the Meiko CS-2HA.

Cray Research has a fully-optimizing, native compiler, CF90, that is
being marketed by them, and by Visual Numerics for workstations, starting
with Suns ([email-masked] or
http://www.cray.com/PUBLIC/product-info/craysoft/Fortran_90.html).

Digital has DEC Fortran 90, a native, optimizing compiler for Digital
UNIX on Alpha systems (with HPF), and for OpenVMS Alpha (without HPF).
A Windows NT (Alpha) version is likely to follow ([email-masked]
or http://www.digital.com/info/hpc/f90).

EPC has optimizing, native compilers for x86, Sun, RS/6000, SGI and MIPS
([email-masked] or [email-masked]). HPF is also available.

FORTNER Research (formerly Laguage Systems Corp) expects to deliver
f90 for Macintoshes at some unspecified date.

Fujitsu is marketing a native Fortran 90 Workbench for Solaris 1.1
and 2.x. Contact Unicomp ([email-masked]) or Fujitsu ([email-masked]).

HP has stated its intention to collaborate with EPC to produce a compiler
for HP and Convex platforms, timescale not yet announced.

IBM has been shipping its optimizing, native compiler for the RS/6000,
xlf Version 3, as of 31 December, 1993. HPF will be available in April.
See http://www.software.ibm.com/ap/fortran.

Lahey has been shipping a native LF90 compiler for DOS since 29 August,
1994 ([email-masked] or http://www.lahey.com). It is particularly
well optimized on the Pentium. Also on offer is elf90, a subset
language that does not allow storage association and is very cheap.

Microsoft has released its Fortran Powerstation V4.0 that includes f90
for Windows NT 3.5 and Windows 95 ([email-masked] or
http://www.microsoft.com/fortran). It is a
32-bit compiler with optimizations for Pentium and 486.

Microway NDP Fortran 90 for 386/486 and Pentium is available
([email-masked]).

NAG provides a compiler for most unix platforms, VMS and PCs (including
Linux). This was the first f90 compiler, in 1991. An optimizing version
produced in collaboration with ACE (see above) will be released in the
first quarter of 1996. FORESYS 90, to convert from F77 source to f90,
is available too ([email-masked], [email-masked] or
http://www.nag.co.uk/).

NA Software supplies Fortran 90 Plus on PCs (including Windows 95 and
Linux) and T800 and T9000 transputers ([email-masked]).
There is a cheap student version available. They also supply a F77 to
f90 syntax convertor, LOFT90, as well as HPF.

PSR's VAST/f90 compiler for unix, VMS and Convex includes a vectorizer.
PSR also supplies VAST/77to90, to convert FORTRAN 77 programs into
Fortran 90 syntax, as well as HPF ([email-masked] or http://www.psrv.com/)

ParaSoft has a compiler ([email-masked], or
http://www.parasoft.com/f90.html).

PGI has released a subset Fortran 90/HPF compiler for SGI and IBM SP2.
([email-masked] or http://www.pgroup.com/). It supplies HPF to Cray.

Salford Software markets a PC version of the NAG compiler, also for
Windows 95 and NT ([email-masked] or
http://www.salford.ac.uk/ssl/ss.html). A very cheap student version is
available ([email-masked]).

SGI released the MIPSpro Fortran 90 64-bit compiler in June 1995. It can
be configured with an optional MIPSpro Power Fortran 90 Accelerator
(PFA90) to optimize Fortran 90 code for SGI's multiprocessor systems.

SofTech has a licence to sell its own versions of DEC's HPF/f90 compiler.

Sun has released an f90 compiler based on Cray's CF90, initially for
Solaris 2 (tel. 1-800-SUNSOFT or URL
http://www.sun.com/sunsoft/Products/Developer-products).

OTHER USEFUL PRODUCTS

FORGE90 and an HPF processor from APR
([email-masked] or http://www.infomall.org/apri/) are available.

HPF is apparently available not only as listed above, but also from
Hitachi, Intel, Motorola, Meiko, and NEC. I have no details.

A source form convertor, convert.f90, is obtainable by ftp
from jkr.cc.rl.ac.uk in the directory /pub/MandR. Latest version is 1.4.

NAG (see above) and IMSL (now Visual Numerics, [email-masked])
offer f90 versions of their maths libraries that take
full advantage of the language's library building capabilities.

An f90 mode is included in the official Emacs distribution
(GNU Emacs-19.28/XEmacs-19.13 or later).

For make files, a perl5 script, which behaves like an X11 makedepend
program (it edits an existing Makefile) and recursively searches
include files for more dependencies, is available from Kate Hedstrom:
     ftp://ahab.rutgers.edu/pub/perl/sfmakedepend
     http://marine.rutgers.edu/po/perl.html

WHAT BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE?

English:

  Fortran 90 - Meissner, PWS Kent, Boston, 1995, ISBN 0-534-93372-6.

  Fortran 90 - Counihan, Pitman, 1991, ISBN 0-273-03073-6.

  Fortran 90 and Engineering Computation - Schick and Silverman, John
  Wiley, 1994, ISBN 0-471-58512-2.

  Fortran 90, A Reference Guide - Chamberland, Prentice Hall PTR, 1995,
  ISBN 0-13-397332-8.

  Fortran 90/95 Explained - Metcalf and Reid, Oxford University Press,
  1996, ISBN 0-19-851888-9, about $33. This book is a complete, audited
  description of the Fortran 90 and Fortran 95 languages in a more
  readable style than the standards themselves. It incorporates all X3J3
  and WG5's interpretations and has a complete chapter on Fortran 95.
  It has seven Appendices, including an extended example program that is
  available by ftp and solutions to exercises, as well as an Index.
  US e-mail orders may be sent to: [email-masked]. The Fortran 90
  version is also available in French, Japanese and Russian (see below).

  Fortran 90 for Scientists and Engineers - Brian D. Hahn, Edward
  Arnold, 1994, ISBN 0-340-60034-9.

  Fortran 90 Handbook - Adams, Brainerd, Martin, Smith and Wagener,
  McGraw-Hill, 1992, ISBN 0-07-000406-4.

  Fortran 90 Language Guide - Gehrke, Springer, London, 1995,
  ISBN 3-540-19926-8.

  Fortran 90 Programming - Ellis, Philips, Lahey, Addison Wesley,
  Wokingham, 1994, ISBN 0-201-54446-6.

  Fortran Top 90-Ninety Key Features of Fortran 90 - Adams, Brainerd,
  Martin and Smith, Unicomp, 1994, ISBN 0-9640135-0-9.

  Introducing Fortran 90 - Chivers and Sleightholme, Springer-Verlag
  London, 1995, ISBN 3-540-19940-3.

  Introduction to Fortran 90, Algorithms, and Structured Programming,
  Vol. 1, R. Vowels: 93 Park Drive, Parkville 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA,
  ([email-masked]). $20 Aust, $15 US, ISBN 0-9596384-8-2.

  Introduction to Fortran 90 for Scientific Computing - Ortega, Saunders
  College Publishing, 1994, ISBN 0-030010198-0.

  Migrating to Fortran 90 - James F. Kerrigan, O'Reilly Associates,
  1993, ISBN 1-56592-049-X.

  Programmer's Guide to Fortran 90, third edition - Brainerd, Goldberg
  and Adams, Springer, 1996, ISBN 0-387-94570-9.

  Programming in Fortran 90 - Morgan and Schonfelder, Alfred Waller/
  McGraw-Hill, Oxfordshire, 1993, ISBN 1-872474-06-3.

  Programming in Fortran 90 - I.M. Smith, Wiley, ISBN 0471-94185-9.

  Schaum's Outline of Theory and Praxis -- Programming in Fortran 90 -
  Mayo and Cwiakala, Mc Graw Hill, 1996. ISBN 0-07-041156-5.

  Upgrading to Fortran 90 - Redwine, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995,
  ISBN 0-387-97995-6.

Chinese:

  Programming Language Fortran 90 - He Xingui, Xu Zuyuan, Wu Qingbao and
  Chen Mingyuan, China Railway Publishing House, Beijing,
  ISBN 7-113-01788-6/TP.187, 1994.

Dutch:

  Fortran 90 - W.S. Brainerd, Ch.H. Goldberg, and J.C. Adams, translated
  by J.M. den Haan, Academic Service, 1991, ISBN 90 6233 722 8.

French:

  Fortran 90; Approche par la Pratique - Lignelet, Se'rie Informatique
  E'ditions, Menton, 1993, ISBN 2-090615-01-4.

  Fortran 90.  Les concepts fondamentaux, the translation of "Fortran 90
  Explained" M. Metcalf, J. Reid, translated by M. Caillet and B. Pichon,
  AFNOR, Paris, ISBN 2-12-486513-7.

  Fortran 90; Initiation a` partir du Fortran 77 - Aberti, Se'rie
  Informatique E'ditions, Menton, 1992, ISBN 2-090615-00-6.

  Les specificites du Fortran 90, DUBESSET, M. et VIGNES, J.,
  editions Technip, 1993. ISBN 2-7108-0652-5

  Manuel complet du langage Fortran 90, et guide d'application,
  LIGNELET, P., S.I. editions, Jan. 1995. ISBN 2-909615-02-2

  Programmer en Fortran 90, DELANNOY, C., Eyrolles, 1992.
  ISBN 2-212-08723-3

  Savez-vous parler Fortran, AIN, M., Bibliotheque des universites
  (de Boeck), 1994. ISBN 2-8041-1755-3

German:

  Fortran 90 - B.Wojcieszynski and R.Wojcieszynski, Addison-Wesley,
  1993, ISBN 3-89319-600-5.

  Fortran 90: eine informelle Einfu"hrung - Heisterkamp,
  BI-Wissenschaftsverlag, 1991, ISBN 3-411153-21-0.

  Fortran 90, Lehr- und Arbeitsbuch fuer das erfolgreiche Programmieren -
  W.S. Brainerd, C.H. Goldberg, and J.C. Adams, translated by
  Peter Thomas and Klaus G. Paul, R. Olbenbourg Verlag, Muenchen, 1994,
  ISBN 3-486-22102-7.

  Fortran 90 Lehr- und Handbuch - T. Michel, BI-Wissenschaftsverlag,
  1994.

  Fortran 90 Referenz-Handbuch: der neue Fortran-Standard - Gehrke,
  Carl Hansen Verlag, 1991, ISBN 3-446163-21-2.

  Programmierung in Fortran 90 - Schobert, Oldenburg, 1991.

  Programmieren in Fortran - Erasmus Langer, Springer-Verlag,
  Wien  New York, 1993. ISBN 3-211-82446-4, 0-387-82446-4.

  Software Entwicklung in Fortran 90 - U"berhuber and Meditz, Springer
  Verlag, 1993, ISBN 0-387-82450-2.

Japanese:

  Fortran 90 Explained - Metcalf and Reid, translated by H. Nisimura,
  H. Wada, K. Nishimura, M. Takata, Kyoritsu Shuppan Co., Ltd., 1993,
  ISSN 0385-6984.

Russian

   An Explanation of the Fortran 90 Programming Language (translation of
   Fortran 90 Explained - Metcalf and Reid), translated P. Gorbounov,
   Mir, Moscow, 1995, ISBN 5-03-001426-8. Available also from
   [email-masked].

Swedish

    Fortran 90 - en introduktion - Blom, Studentlitteratur, Lund, 1994,
    ISBN 91-44-47881-X.

WHERE CAN I OBTAIN COURSES, COURSE MATERIAL OR CONSULTANCY?

Copyright but freely available course material is available
on the World Wide Web from the URLs:

     Manchester Computer Centre:
     http://www.hpctec.mcc.ac.uk/hpctec/courses/Fortran90/F90course.html
     or via ftp: ftp.mcc.ac.uk, in the directory /pub/mantec/Fortran90.

     The University of Liverpool:
     http://www.liv.ac.uk/HPC/HPCpage.html.

     CERN: http://wwwcn.cern.ch/asdoc/f90.html
     or via anonymous ftp from asisftp.cern.ch in the directory cnl
     as the file f90tutor.ps. An ASCII copy of this material as a set
     of slides for a six-hour course is available from [email-masked].

     In French: Support de cours Fortran 90 IDRIS - Corde & Delouis (from
     ftp.ifremer.fr, file pub/ifremer/fortran90/f90_cours_4.ps.gz).

     A course on HPF is freely available from Edinburgh: http://
     www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/epcc-tec/course-packages/HPF-Package-form.html

Courses are available from:

   Walt Brainerd, a member of X3J3, also on HPF ([email-masked]);

   PSR (see above);

   CETech, Inc. (also on HPF)
   8196 SW Hall Blvd., Ste. 304, Beaverton, Oregon 97008, USA.
   Phone: (503)644-6106   Fax: (503)643-8425 ([email-masked]).

European companies offering courses and conversion consultancy are:

      IT Independent Training Limited,
      2 Windlebrook Green, Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
                   tel. +44 1344 860172   fax. +44 1344 867992

      Salford Software (see above);

      Simulog, attn. Mr. E. Plestan,
      1 rue James Joule, F-78286 Guyancourt Cedex, France
                   tel: +33 1 30 12 27 00   fax: +33 1 30 12 27 27

      Allgemeiner Software Service
      Prinz-Otto Str.7c, D-85521 Ottobrunn, Germany
                   tel: +49-89-6083758   Fax: +49-89-6083758
                   e-mail: [email-masked]
                   URL: http://www.wp.com/AllSoftServe

WHERE CAN I FIND THE STANDARD?

Fortran 90 was adopted as an International Standard by ISO in July, 1991,
as ISO/IEC 1539:1991, and is obtainable for 185 Swiss francs from

          ISO Publications, 1 rue de Varembe, Case postale 56
          CH-1211 Geneva 20, Switzerland
          Fax. + 41 22 734 10 79

It may also be obtained from national member bodies such as

          ANSI, 1430 Broadway, New York, N.Y. 10018

(where it is also known as ANSI X3.198-1992), or in electronic PostScript
or ASCII form from Unicomp ([email-masked]) at a cost and
under conditions agreed by ISO.

Corrigenda 1 and 2 were published by ISO in 1993 and 1995, respectively,
and are available from them (cost about 30 Swiss francs).

A Russian translation of the standard (translator S.G.Drobyshevich)
is available from the editor, Alla Gorelik ([email-masked]).

                               *****

This information is compiled on a 'best-effort' basis and without
prejudice. It may be freely copied and disseminated. Corrections and
additions are solicited.

               Mike Metcalf
               ([email-masked])

Version of 22 April, 1996.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------