Subject: hpff: Cray / PGI / HPF

From: Doug Miles <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 12:08:24 -0800

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cray/Media:                     Steve Conway, 612/683-7133
The Portland Group:             Denney Cole, 503/682-2806
The Bernhardt Agency:  	        Cheri Maniscalco, 503/226-6452

CRAY RESEARCH AND THE PORTLAND GROUP FINALIZE
AGREEMENTS FOR HPF ON CRAY SYSTEMS, PGI TO DEVELOP 
NEW MERGED PROGRAMMING PRODUCT BASED ON 
CRAY/PGI TECHNOLOGY

Eagan, Minn., March 7, 1996 -- Cray Research, Inc. (NYSE:CYR)
and The Portland Group, Inc. (PGI) announced today that they
have finalized a development and reseller agreement to
initially make PGI's pghpf(tm) High Performance Fortran (HPF)
compiler available on Cray(R) systems and for PGI to develop
and support a merged programming product based on Cray's
CRAFT flexible programming model and PGI's pghpf, creating
the most complete and powerful implicit programming model
available on the market, according to the two companies. 

Late last year the two companies announced their intent to
make PGI's HPF product available on Cray systems.  Today's
announcement extends that intended relationship with a
reseller arrangement and an important development program to
combine Cray's programming model with PGI's technology to
create a comprehensive programming solution for both Cray
and PGI customers.  The combined product is expected to be
available in late 1996. 

The agreement is important because implicit programming
models are easiest to use on today's highly scalable,
distributed memory systems, and the combined model
announced today is the most capable in the world, the
companies said. 

Under terms of the development agreement, to ensure cross-
platform portability, the merged programming model will be
supported by PGI on a variety of parallel systems, including all
Cray Research shared memory systems, as well as the scalable
CRAY T3D and CRAY T3E distributed memory supercomputers.
Under the terms of the reseller agreement, Cray will resell
PGI's HPF, as well as the merged programming product on all
Cray(R) systems.  

According to Mike Booth, vice president of Cray's software
division, "We've been working with PGI for several months
toward a concrete plan and schedule for integrating the HPF
and CRAFT programming models.  We are pleased to announce
that we'll be providing Cray users with an HPF environment
that is consistent across all of our product lines, provides
maximum power and flexibility on both shared- and
distributed-memory systems, and is based on PGI's industry-
leading HPF product."

According to Douglas Miles, director of marketing at PGI,
"We're very pleased Cray will be offering our HPF products
directly to their customers.  Expanding the relationship to
incorporate the power of Cray's CRAFT model will be of
substantial benefit to many existing Cray customers, as well
as PGI's customers.  CRAY T3D/T3E users will be able to
migrate their applications toward HPF compatibility with the
freedom of using the CRAFT model where appropriate and the
assurance that their code will continue to be portable across a
variety of parallel systems."

Under the separate development agreement, PGI will make
enhancements to its HPF product to incorporate the
functionality of Cray's CRAFT programming model.  Cray
Research developed the CRAFT parallel programming model to
provide CRAY T3D(tm) customers with a flexible model that
combines the functionality of several programming styles --
data parallel, work sharing, and message-passing.  The key
components of the CRAFT model will be embedded within a new
HPF standard-conforming extrinsic type called
EXTRINSIC(HPF_CRAFT) to provide a multi-threaded execution
environment.  This combined Cray/PGI solution will give
programmers all the flexibility of CRAFT incorporated in a
standard fashion within a portable language.

HPF is the leading implicit parallel programming model for
shared- and distributed-memory parallel systems.  It is the
first widely accepted programming language suitable for
writing portable applications in the data-parallel programming
style.  PGI provides the leading commercial implementation of
HPF on a variety of parallel systems.

Cray Research provides the leading high-performance tools and
services to help solve customers' most challenging problems.

PGI is a leading independent vendor of software compilers and
tools for parallel computing.  PGI provides high performance,
retargetable, production quality compilers and software
development tools to the high performance and parallel
computing industries.

                            # # #

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Presberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 17:39:20 -0500

Doug --

I think it would have been better to have just pointed all of us
at some online copy of the Press Release (e.g., URL, anonymous FTP).

-- Pres
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
- David L. Presberg, Parallel Computing Specialist, CTC/ST/Tools
-   Cornell Theory Center, 740 Frank H.T. Rhodes Hall, Cornell University,
- Ithaca, NY 14853-3801, USA  607-254-8861  [email-masked]
- Nickname:  Pres
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].  Leave
the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------