Subject: hpff-task: Re: HPF reduce directive

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Koelbel)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 11:50:37 -0600

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for discussion of control-parallel
features in HPF.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this
list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I tried to forward Fabien's message as fast as possible.  Still drew
Rob's response on the other list...

                                                Chuck

Dear Fabien,

I know this is a subtle issue.   I thought we had unabiguously defined the
answer to the "shich loop" question as the outermost DO loop that:

i)  Is independent

ii)  Does not have a NEW clause for the reduction variable, and

iii)  Does not *contain* in its range an independent DO loop with a NEW
      clause for the reduction variable.

Also, the reduction statement must be in the lexical range of the DO loop.
Thus, we have addressed the issues of whether more than one reduction statment
may occur (there is no restriction on the number or the place)
and which loops are the scope of the reduction.   Nevertheless, your
points about economy of expression are very well taken.    We should discuss
this alternative.

Rob

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------