Subject: hpff-task: Re: HPF reduce directive

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Koelbel)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 13:02:40 -0600

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for discussion of control-parallel
features in HPF.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this
list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> I'll comment that I generally like the "external" syntax, modulo a
>> couple syntax nits (for example, INDEPEDENT does not name the loop index,
>> and doesn't apply to nested loops.)
>
>Do you mean that my inner loop cannot be tagged as independent?
>Because it is not perfectly nested?
>
>I have not seen such a restriction in HPF 1.0 (or it is not listed in the
>constraint list?). I cannot see any rational for it. The compiler is not
>required to execute the loop in parallel, it's just a matter of asserting
>some semantical property of a piece of code, in my understanding.

Sorry for the ambiguous wording.  What I meant was, "A single INDEPENDENT
directive applies to only one DO loop or FORALL."  It is legal to nest
INDEPENDENT directives as your example did, but this does not happen
automatically.

>BTW, Happy new year!
>Fabien.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

                                                Chuck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------