Subject: hpff-interpret: MODULE, USE only, and !hpf$ template

From: "Larry Meadows" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:03:43 -0700 (PDT)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for corrections,
clarifications, and interpretations related to High Performance Fortran.
Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this list appear at the
bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this legal:

module M
!hpf$ template T(100,100)
!hpf$ distribute T(block,block)
end module

use M, only:: T
end

T is not a first-class object. If M is USEd, then I guess T is available.
But can T be named in a F90 statement?

lfm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to
[email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Henry Zongaro)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:13:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Larry,

> But can T be named in a F90 statement?

     This same question was answered at the October, 1994 meeting (CCI 9.2).
The response was that the name of a template (or processors arrangement) cannot
be specified in the <only-list> of a USE statement.  The rationale was that a
valid HPF program should also be a valid Fortran 90 program (ignoring such
things as FORALL, PURE, EXTRINSIC and other language extensions).

    If we treat the HPF directives in the above program as comments, it is no
longer a valid Fortran 90 program.

Thanks,

Henry