Subject: hpff-interpret: Re: clarification for EXTRINSIC(HPF_LOCAL)

From: [email-masked] (Carl Offner)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 12:36:28 -0500

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for corrections,
clarifications, and interpretations related to High Performance Fortran.
Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this list appear at the
bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps you misunderstood what I was trying to say.  You can take
your Fortran 77 routine and call it from an HPF_LOCAL as you
suggested.  There is nothing that currently prevents you from doing
that.  The only thing you have to be careful about is that you
have to explicitly declare it as NOT being HPF_LOCAL, since otherwise
that is the default.  I suggested EXTRINSIC(F90_LOCAL), which is
compatible with Fortran 77.  But anything else would do as well.

		--Carl Offner
		[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to
[email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Carol Munroe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 13:55:58 EST

From: [email-masked] (Carl Offner)
   Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 12:36:28 -0500

		   --Carl Offner
		   [email-masked]

Clint raised an important point that has been bothering me as well. Not all
implementations of HPF_LOCAL necessarily have other types of EXTRINSIC
interface available, so HPF_LOCAL should be complete in itself, especially
since there exists a default assumption that a subprogram call from within
an HPF_LOCAL routine is calling another HPF_LOCAL routine.  I don't believe
there was an intent to block any use of explicit shape arrays locally,
whatever constraints might be put on dummies associated with globally
distributed arrays (even such a constraint has disadvantages). I do believe
that it should be possible to pass explicit-shape arrays from one HPF_LOCAL
routine to another. I think the language specifications need to be altered
to fix this problem.

--Carol Munroe
[email-masked]