Subject: hpff-interpret: Re: clarification for EXTRINSIC(HPF_LOCAL)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:37:31 -0500

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for corrections,
clarifications, and interpretations related to High Performance Fortran.
Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this list appear at the
bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

>Perhaps you misunderstood what I was trying to say.  You can take
>your Fortran 77 routine and call it from an HPF_LOCAL as you
>suggested.  There is nothing that currently prevents you from doing
>that.  The only thing you have to be careful about is that you
>have to explicitly declare it as NOT being HPF_LOCAL, since otherwise
>that is the default.  I suggested EXTRINSIC(F90_LOCAL), which is
>compatible with Fortran 77.  But anything else would do as well.

Yes, I understand your point.  It was one I examined before sending mail.
My whole problem is that I do not want to have to count on there being any
extrinsic besides HPF_LOCAL.  I see no reason to have the assumed shape
restriction if one HPF_LOCAL routine calls another.  If this is the case, I can
call a Fortran77 routine using HPF_LOCAL as the only extrinsic type.  To use
the idea you are suggesting, the compiler must support two extrinsics,
HPF_LOCAL and, for instance, F90_LOCAL or F77_LOCAL.

To give you an example, DEC's HPF compiler (at least the version I have)
supports only HPF and HPF_LOCAL.  If the ruling is that HPF_LOCAL routines
which are not called from global HPF can take assumed size arrays, I could get
my code to work there without asking DEC to support more extrinsics.  I believe
that IBM's xlhpf also does not support F90_LOCAL or F77_LOCAL at this time.
That is why my question involved the ruling on passing assumed size arrays
between HPF_LOCAL routines, rather than how to call a F77 routine from
HPF_LOCAL.

Thanks,
Clint
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to
[email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------