Subject: hpff-interpret: clarification for EXTRINSIC(HPF_LOCAL)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 18:38:20 -0500

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for corrections,
clarifications, and interpretations related to High Performance Fortran.
Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this list appear at the
bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I am looking at the HTML version of the HPF language specification, version 1.1.
It says:

>A dummy array argument of an EXTRINSIC(HPF_LOCAL) routine must have assumed
>shape, even when it is explicit shape in the interface. Note that, in general,
>the shape of a dummy array argument differs from the shape of the corresponding
>actual argument, unless there is a single executing processor. 

I think this statement is misleading.  Is it true that all HPF_LOCAL routines
are constrained to accept only assumed shape arrays, or is it only HPF_LOCAL
routines which are called from global HPF that have this restriction?

The reason I ask is that we have Fortran77 code which we are hoping to access
from HPF.  The easiest route to do this is to have the HPF routine call an
HPF_LOCAL routine with our arrays passed in as assumed shape.  Then, since
HPF_LOCAL is a superset of Fortran77, we declare our Fortran77 routine as
another HPF_LOCAL routine taking an assumed size array (required by Fortran77).

So, my question is: can HPF_LOCAL routines which will not be called from
global HPF take assumed size arrays?  If so, I think a slight rewording of
the standard might help make this apparent.

Thanks,
Clint
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to
[email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------