Subject: hpff-interpret: allocate in pure

From: Rob Schreiber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:40:40 -0800

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for corrections,
clarifications, and interpretations related to High Performance Fortran.
Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this list appear at the
bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears that X3J3 has decided to allow allocate in PURE procedures, and
it also seems that one cannot do some very simple things, like return
the concatenation of two lists as the value of a pure function, without
it.   Shouldnt we conform with X3J3?

The generic thing one wants to do (that is forbidden by the current
HPF rule) is to allocate a linked structure and return a pointer to it
as the result of a pure function.

Rob Schreiber
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to
[email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Harvey Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 96 09:36:58 GMT

> as the result of a pure function.

I argued (without success) that the restriction on ALLOCATE was too
strong a response to the CCI and that X3J3 would probably not accept it.  

Do they have a weaker restriction for the CCI in question?

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a copy of the CCI.

Harvey