Subject: hpff-doc: mapping chapters

From: [email-masked] (Carl Offner)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 16:30:03 -0500

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for HPF 2.0 language specification
authors and editors.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this
list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am following this with new versions of the three mapping chapters:

	mapping-base.tex
	mapping-subr.tex
	mapping-ext.tex

There are some small and inessential wording changes in mapping-subr.tex,
made for reasons of clarification.  The only real change is this:

The section on pointers was moved from mapping-subr.tex to mapping-ext.tex
The reason for this is that mapped pointers are not part of HFP 2.0, but
are an approved extension.  In this connection, I made (after consultation
with a few others) two additional constraints in mapping-base.tex to
the effect that objects with the TARGET attribute cannot be explicitly
mapped.  (This is already true for pointers in that chapter.)  I don't
think this is controversial, but we will bring it up at the December
meeting for a formal vote.

		--Carl Offner
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Koelbel)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 22:13:19 -0600

>...

Thanks, Carl.

About making new drafts available:
I will put all new chapters that I receive into
ftp://titan.cs.rice.edu/public/HPFF/work-in-progress/.  Everything will be
handled under RCS, so we can recover old files if my FTP connection fails.
I won't repeat the announcement to hpff-doc unlesss there are problems with
the new file.

Carl's chapters will take a little longer to bring up than most.   Reason:
I'm on the road, using a borrowed PowerBook with a possibly flaky modem.
This is also why you may see the response to this message kind of late...

************************************************************
Chuck Koelbel                             Research Scientist
Center for Research on Parallel Computation  Rice University
                 "History is made at night.
           Character is what you are in the dark."
************************************************************