Subject: hpff-doc: comments on overview

From: Rob Schreiber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 16:39:17 -0700

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for HPF 2.0 language specification
authors and editors.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this
list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

section 1.4.2:  Rewrite as:

To enable programmers to indicate additional opportunities for parallel execution,
HPF provides an {\tt INDEPENDENT} directive.    When applied to a {\tt DO} loop or a {\tt
FORALL} construct, it asserts that the loop iterations do not exhibit any sequentializing
dependences.
Reductions are now allowed in an independent {\tt DO} loop.

section 1.4.3 :   add "and array mapping inquiry subroutines" on line 5 of the ection.

section 1.4.4:   Systolic computation is a bad example of the use of extrinsics, as
they are usually data parallel and can be expressed in HPF.

Sparse matrix computations are a better example.   They require genuinely asynchronous,
independent computation on the processors.

page 12:  second bullet:  "and the HPF library functions."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------