Subject: hpff-doc: RFI - What does "latex" mean to you?

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Koelbel)
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 14:00:59 -0600

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for HPF 2.0 language specification
authors and editors.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself from this
list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HPFF-DOCers -

As (I hope) all of you are aware, we have decided to use LaTeX for the HPF
2.0 document.

In getting the raw text together, I realized/remembered that "LaTeX" has
changed since the time of the HPF 1.0 document.  There are now two rather
different LaTeX systems -
        LaTeX 2e, the newest, fanciest, *supported* system
        LaTeX 2.09, the older, cruftier, system *used for HPF 1.0*
LaTeX 2e has a fair number of new features (for example, support for
imported postscript) and new spellings for a couple of old commands (for
example, {\tt whatever} is now \texttt{whatever}).  The good news is, LaTeX
2e has a "compatability mode" that can process most 2.09 documents - in
particular, compatability mode seems to survive the HPF syntax macros (no
mean feat).

Question for the group:
Should we move to LaTeX 2e for the HPF 2.0 document?
Or should we continue to use LaTex 2.09 (through compatability mode)?

For now, I am keeping text in LaTeX 2.09 form.  I believe that most changes
to LaTeX 2e can be automated.  The HPF Library and Intrinsics chapter will
not be pretty in either form, however...

                                                Chuck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------