Subject: hpff-distribute: reports about HPF compilation

From: Fabien COELHO <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 12:00:56 +0200

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for discussion of data
distribution in High Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or
deleting yourself from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

The following reports may be of interest to the community.
They are accessible from

  http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho/bibliography.html

The first one is a course about HPF compilation.
The second one is about HPF remappings and DF optimizations.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

   A-286 ( abstract / ps.gz )
          State of the Art in Compiling HPF
          Fabien Coelho, Cécile Germain, Jean-Louis Pazat. June 1996. 
          PRS Spring School, Les Menuires, France, March 1996.
          To appear in Springer-Verlag LNCS Series.

   31 pages, 43 references.

  ABSTRACT
 
   Proposing to the user a nice programming model based on the
   data-parallel paradigm is one thing. Running the resulting
   applications very fast is the next issue for a language aiming at high
   performance on massively parallel machines. This paper discusses the
   issues involved in HPF compilation and presents optimization
   techniques, targeting the message-passing SPMD programming model of
   distributed memory MIMD architectures.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

   A-292 ( abstract / ps.gz )
          Compiling Dynamic Mappings with Array Copies
          Fabien Coelho. May 1996.

    20 pages, 12 references.
  
  ABSTRACT
 
   Array remappings are useful to many applications on distributed memory
   parallel machines. They are integrated into High Performance Fortran,
   a Fortran~90-based data-parallel language. This paper describes
   techniques for handling dynamic mappings through simple array copies:
   array remappings are translated into copies between statically mapped
   distinct versions of the array. It discusses restrictions of the
   language required to do so. The remapping graph which captures all
   remapping and liveness information is presented, as well as additional
   data-flow optimizations that can be performed on this graph, so as to
   avoid useless remappings at runtime. Such useless remappings appear
   for arrays that are not used after a remapping. Array copies the
   values of which are live are also kept to avoid other flow-dependent
   useless remappings. Finally the code generation and runtime management
   issues needed by our scheme are discussed. These techniques are
   implemented in our prototype HPF compiler.
          
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

regards,

Fabien.

-- 
Fabien COELHO __ http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho __ [email-masked]
 CRI-ENSMP, 35, rue Saint-Honoré, F-77305 Fontainebleau cedex, France
     phone: 33 1 64 69 {voice: 48 52, fax: 47 09, standard: 47 08}
       ________  All opinions expressed here are mine  _________

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to
[email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------