Subject: hpff-distribute: Technique to avoid explicit overlap declarations

From: Fabien COELHO <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 96 15:14:43 +0100

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for discussion of data
distribution in High Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or
deleting yourself from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Carl,

Here is a report which outlines a possible technique for both managing 
efficiently shadow widths and allow separate compilation.
The aim is to avoid the explicit declaration of overlaps by the
user, as was suggested by your proposal.

Hope this help, have a nice day,

Fabien.

--

Init-time Shadow Width Computation through Compile-time Conventions.
Fabien Coelho. Report EMP CRI A-285, March 1996. 6 pages, 2 references.

Abstract:

In compiling stencil-like computations for distributed memory machines a
standard technique is to allocate shadow edges to store remote elements
from neighbor processors. The efficient management of these edges by HPF
compilers at subroutine boundaries is not obvious because the callers do
not know the callees' requirements, thus it was proposed to allow their
explicit declaration. We present a technique to make this information
available on entry in the program, ready to be used for heap and stack
allocated data. It suits separate compilation of programs involving
arbitrary recursions. The width computation is simply delayed at init-time
and is based on simple compile-time conventions.

Available from:

  http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho/bibliography.html

Namely:

  http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho/doc/A-285.ps.gz
  http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho/doc/A-285.ps.Z

-- 
Fabien COELHO __ http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho __ [email-masked]
 CRI-ENSMP, 35, rue Saint-Honoré, F-77305 Fontainebleau cedex, France
     phone: 33 1 64 69 {voice: 48 52, fax: 47 09, standard: 47 08}
       ________  All opinions expressed here are mine  _________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to
[email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------