Subject: hpff-core: ANNOUNCE: Summer of HPF Meeting in Vienna, Austria

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 14:45:35 +0200 (MET DST)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked] is a mailing list for announcements related to High
Performance Fortran.  Instructions for adding or deleting yourself
from this list appear at the bottom of this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcement - Summer of HPF in Vienna

July 1-4, 1996, Vienna, Austria

High Performance Fortran (HPF) is a data parallel language extension to
Fortran90 which provides a portable programming interface for a wide variety
of target platforms. The original HPF language specification was produced by
the High Performance Fortran Forum, a broad consortium of industry and
academia, which met regularly throughout 1992 and early 1993. HPF compilers
are now available on most commonly-used computing systems, and users are
beginning to gain first hand experience with this language.

The HPF Forum began a second round of meetings in January 1995 with the aim of
working on the features which could not be dealt with in the original
specification, as well as support to the vendors implementing HPF. The results
of this round are due for public review in a draft form during the summer of
1996.

To increase public knowledge of HPF a workshop and a tutorial with a hands-on
session will be held in Vienna during the first week of July, (1st-4th July).
The complete agenda of events is described below. This workshop is organised
by the Vienna Centre for Parallel Computing (VCPC) as part of the ESPRIT
project HPC-Standards.

	July 1: 	Tutorial: HPF in practice
	July 2: 	Tutorial: Hands  on session
	July 3/4:	Workshop: HPF for real applications

Participants may register for one or both of the above events using the form
at the end of this document.

The workshop will be held at hotel Austrotel, Felberstr. 4, A-1150 Vienna. 

Tutorial

The tutorial is divided into two parts. 

	Day One:	HPF in Practice, Charles Koelbel, Rice University. 

This tutorial will introduce programmers to the most important features of HPF
and illustrate how they can be used in practice for scientific computation.
Further details can be found at http://www.cs.rice.edu/~chk/hpf-tutorial.html

	Day Two:	HPF Tutorial, NA Software. 

Attendees will have hands on access to the NA Software HPF mapper and tools on
the Meiko CS-2 at VCPC. Please note that there are a limited number of places
for the `hands-on' sessions.

Workshop

In this workshop, we give an overview of the work of the HPF Forum, including
its recent activities. A number of major compiler vendors will present their
views on HPF and give an update on their efforts. There will also be
contributions from several leading software houses who are beginning to port
applications to HPF. Tools for HPF, and the use of HPF together with MPI will
also be considered. The program will give ample time for both formal and
informal discussion.

Speakers for the workshop include the following; 

	Presentations from researchers in HPF and members of the HPF Forum 
	including Chuck Koelbel (Rice University/CRPC), Piyush Mehrotra 
	(ICASE), Barbara Chapman (VCPC), Thomas Brandes (GMD), John Merlin 
	(University of Southampton),  Sigi Benkner (University of Vienna) 
	and others.

	Descriptions of current and future compilers from a number of 
	vendors including Larry Meadows (PGI), Manish Gupta (IBM), 
	Harvey Richardson (TMC), Cliff Addison (NAS) and others.

	Summaries of experiences by `real' users from a range of industrial 
	and research organisations, including Henk Sips (Amsterdam), 
	Scott Baden (UCSD) and Guy Robinson (VCPC). Reports from the 
	PHAROS ESPRIT project of the experiences of CISE, debis, MATRA and 
	SEMCAP with current compilers and the conversion of real applications
	to HPF-1, and the HPF+ ESPRIT projects work in developing extensions 
	to HPF-1 to reflect the complexity of advanced applications from 
	AVL, ESI and ECMWF.

Contact

To register for the above events or to request further information please
contact [email-masked] or http://www.vcpc.univie.ac.at or complete
the form attached. 

______________________
 
European Centre for Parallel Computing at Vienna, (VCPC)
Liechtensteinstr. 22, A-1090 Vienna, Austria, Europe
Tel: +43-1-3109396-10, Fax: +43-1-3109396-13, E-mail: [email-masked]

==============================================================================

Registration form

European Centre for Parallel Computing at Vienna (VCPC)

Summer of HPF

July 1-4, 1996, Vienna, Austria

Name: ________________________________________________________________________

Affiliation: _________________________________________________________________

Address: _____________________________________________________________________

_________________________________  Telephone: ________________________________

Fax: ____________________________  E-mail: ___________________________________

I wish to attend (please cross): 

o the HPF Tutorial on day one only (July 1)

o the HPF Tutorial on both days (July 1/2)

o the HPF Workshop on July 3/4  

Please send me further information on:

o the HPF Tutorial on day one only (July 1)		

o the HPF Tutorial on both days (July 1/2)

o the HPF Workshop on July 3/4  

o Please send me information on future workshops and tutorials  

o Please send me hotel information 

o Please book a room for me at hotel Austrotel, or a nearby hotel 
    (please indicate preference).

    Type of room:  o Single             o Double 

    Arrival date: ___________________ Departure date: ________________________

Date: ____________________________ Signature: ________________________________

Fees

Payment should be enclosed if you register for the tutorial or the workshop.
Please make cheques payable to VCPC. All payments must be in Austrian
Schillings.  Fees include refreshments and lunch on each day of the events for
which you register. 

Day one only (July 1):                  Until May 20 		After May 20

	Academic, ESPRIT/ACTS projects: 1700 ATS         	2100 ATS
	Industry:                      	2300 ATS         	2800 ATS  

Day one and two (July 1/2):             Until May 20   		After May 20

	Academic, ESPRIT/ACTS projects: 2300 ATS         	2700 ATS
	Industry:                       2850 ATS         	3500 ATS    

Workshop (July 3/4):                   	Until May 20   	After May 20

	Academic, ESPRIT/ACTS projects: 1800 ATS         	2200 ATS
	Industry:                       2400 ATS         	2800 ATS    

I qualify for the	o Academic, project fee     	o Industry fee 

Name of project: _____________________________________________________________

Method of payment:	o Enclosed Cheque 	o American Express

		o Eurocard/Mastercard 	o Visa	

				o Diners Club 

Total amount of payment: _____________________________________________________

Credit Card Number: __________________________ Exp. date: ____________________

Cardholder Name: _____________________________________________________________

Date: ______________________________ Signature: ______________________________

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To (un)subscribe to this list, send mail to [email-masked].
Leave the subject line blank, and in the body put the line
(un)subscribe <email-address>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------