Subject: crpc-tr93341-s abstract

From: roth (Jerry Roth)
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 93 10:16:53 CST

TR: CRPC-TR93341-S
Title: Optimizing Fortran 90D Programs for SIMD Execution
Author: Gerald Roth  (student)
Date: April 1993

Abstract:

SIMD architectures offer an alternative to MIMD architectures for 
obtaining high performance computation through parallelism.
These architectures can offer impressive price/performance ratios for
certain classes of problems.
However, the effectiveness of such machines is greatly affected by the
capabilities of the compilers which produce code for it. Current
compilers have many weaknesses that introduce inefficiencies in the
code that they produce. It is our thesis that advanced compiler
techniques can produce more efficient SIMD code and exploit the
massively parallel hardware closer to its full potential.
To validate our thesis, we are designing and implementing compiler
transformations that optimize computation and communication given the
constraint of a single instruction stream.

Keywords:

SIMD compilation, communication optimization, stencils, context
optimization